This week is really exciting! Because the enclosure seems very very useful.
At first I wanted to combined the enclosure homework to my PComp homework. I used a can for my PComp project. But later then I found that my breadboard is so big and long and annoying that it could not fit into the can. So I turned to make the 2 by 4 enclosure to hold the breadboard and Arduino board for it.
The wood I got is not actually 2 by 4, it is a little bit smaller than that, which made it hard to drill hole since the “wall” of this little space inside the wood is getting thiner and thiner while drilling.
I was going to use the countersink bit to drill a hole but John told me that we don`t have it at our shop. So I use this similar bit instead. After drilling the holes in the corner, I used band saw to cut it into two pieces. It was a little bit harder to cut it into 2 than I usually do it with other materials. I was thinking maybe because the wood is too thick for the band saw. But in the end, I got to cut it into two.
After that, I was going to use forstener bit to drill holes to make spaces. But I was told that we don`t have that in our shop either. So instead, I tried to use router table to rout a space inside of it. But I failed.. Because the side of the wood is not completely flat since cut it by band saw. And it is hard to control where to start and where to end with the router bit inside of the wood. Besides, it was a little bit dangerous. So I turned to plan C.
Which is this “gross” thing. I use a half inch bit on the drill press to drill a thousand holes into the wood and then changed to a smaller drill bit to cut the left raised wood. It was kind of funny. It was like cooking inside the wood.
Then I use chisel to pry some of the left wood out.
In the end, I got this tight place that can just fit my uno board in. ( The wall is too thin!) I got lucky that eventually I could let the board sit inside of it.
I mounted a tiny toggle onto it in the end.
It was really fun to make this. I really wish I could have more time to make more enclosures since I want to try to build different materials of them. Hopefully, next time I could combine them well with my PComp assignment.