Our project is to create an abstract imagery of natural textures. We want to make it interactive, simple, fun, and with strong visuals. This idea originated from our long-lasting interest in geometry and Nature, e.g. light, mirror, reflection, the moon, the elipse…etc. Therefore we want to link the two things together: visualize natural textures using simple geometric shapes. The abstract is now mainly: the lunar phase (the wane and wax of the moon), and tides/ the movement of waves accordingly.
Our concept is to reflect some of the weird and simple beauty of the nature and the moon. The physical object is made of 4 parts: 12 mirror/acrylic glass, 12 3D-printed holders, the white sunken surface (mimicking the surface of the moon), and one round-shape wooden board supporting the surface and the holders. The final effects are achieved by mapping and projecting animated Processing sketch on the surface of the installation.
Since we had imagined and prototyped the shape of the physical object before creating the sketch, when we were doing the sketch, we considered the shape of the physical object – the moon shape object. As the light gets projected and mapped onto the object, people will see the illusion of other shapes, due to the shape of the physical object, the reflection of the mirror/ acrylic glass, and the breaks of our physical structure.
Before we started we did some research. Our inspirations include glass lighting sculptures, optical experiment, and so on. Please see the following for some inspirational works.
- Glass Lighting Sculptures:
- Patterns of Harmony: projection mapping installation inspired by quantum physics and a research to find the origin of geometry
- Experimental Light Sculpture: an animation projected on a deformed wall to investigate behavior of projected light
- The Cave: an infinite corridor that explores the ways in which the perspective can be seen and visualised
- Reflective Kinematronic II – Mobility | 2010
MadMapper (for projection mapping)
Process of making physical Screen
- 3D printed holder * 12
Mode 2 (Spring+Sine-wave)
Final Sketch(Screen Shot)